Enviro News Asia, Probolinggo — The fire in Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park (TNBTS), East Java, has been confirmed extinguished, while joint teams continue cooling operations and intensive monitoring to prevent fires from reigniting due to remaining embers at the affected sites.
Based on field monitoring conducted by Manggala Agni and joint response teams, no active flames were detected at the site as of 3:00 p.m. local time on Friday (August 14). However, personnel continued to find embers in several burned areas, requiring further cooling and sweeping operations.
The cooling and monitoring efforts are being carried out by the Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park Office (BBTNBTS) together with the 2026 East Java Forest and Land Fire Emergency Response Task Force. The operation will continue until the area is considered free from any remaining fire risks.
Cooling operations are intended to ensure that embers hidden among vegetation, soil and burned materials are completely extinguished. Remaining embers could potentially trigger new fires, particularly under dry weather conditions and strong winds.
Head of the Public Relations and International Cooperation Bureau of the Ministry of Forestry, Ristianto Pribadi, said the relatively controlled situation was the result of coordinated efforts involving BBTNBTS, Manggala Agni, the Indonesian Military, National Police, BNPB, BPBD, local governments, communities and volunteers.
“Based on current monitoring, there are no longer any active flames, and the situation is relatively under control. However, we remain cautious because embers are still present and fires could potentially re-emerge. Our current focus is to complete the cooling process and strengthen monitoring,” Ristianto said.
Forestry Minister Raja Juli Antoni had previously inspected the affected area in Bromo and instructed the temporary closure of the TNBTS area to allow all response teams to concentrate on firefighting, cooling operations and preventing the emergence of new fire hotspots. The safety of the public and personnel remains the main priority.
Following the completion of the cooling process, the task force will inspect public facilities and tourism infrastructure in the affected areas. The assessment will determine the safety, condition and readiness of the facilities before the area can be considered for reopening to visitors.
The Ministry of Forestry has urged the public and tourists to wait for an official announcement regarding the reopening of TNBTS. Visitors who have purchased entrance tickets for the closure period may apply for refunds or rescheduling in accordance with the procedures and information provided through the official channels of BBTNBTS.
The Ministry of Forestry also expressed its appreciation to all personnel, volunteers and communities involved in the fire response and called on the public to avoid activities that could trigger fires. Residents and visitors are encouraged to immediately report any smoke, embers or signs of fire in or around the TNBTS area to the authorities. (*)














